Sunday 13 March 2011

From mainstream to nerdy

My computer was giving me some serious grief, and needed a reinstall of an operating system.  I had been running on Windows XP, because Vista was rubbish.  We could have just done a wipe and a reinstall of XP, but it was time for something new.  I (being the frugal one in the family) didn't really want to spring for Windows 7, so talked Jonathan into putting Linux on my box.  We threw an image of my entire computer on an external hard drive...

and installed the new OS.

I like it so far.  There's definitely a learning curve, as Linux is really more of a programmer's OS.  Installing new software involves using a prompt and actual coding language.  Right now, I'm having to have Jonathan walk me through things quite a lot, but remember, I'm a programmer's daughter, who also married a programmer, so this isn't entirely foreign to me.

Today is the first chance I've had to sit down and import photos from my camera, so keep tuning in for several blog updates!

No comments: