Thursday 3 September 2009

Even Mom needs a vacation, sometimes.








About a month ago, my friend Lisa called to let me know that she would be driving a new (to her) car from Brownsville, TX to her home in northern Virginia. She said that she was trying to break the drive up and wanted to stop in Dallas to see us. Before she even had all this out of her mouth, I was thinking "Take me, too!" Besides the fact that I'm somewhat friend deficient here in town, Jonathan's family lives up there, and I love to visit them! I know it's crazy, right? I have the best in-laws, though, and staying with them makes it really easy to see why I have such an amazing husband. :)
Lisa, her new dog, Mattie (also acquired in Brownsville) and I left at around 6:00 AM on Saturday morning, and drove all the way through without sleeping. About 22 hours later, we arrived at her home on Wildcat Mountain and sacked out for around five hours. Needless to say, our Sunday activities were limited to visiting a local farmer's market, and eating. We didn't have much energy for anything else! Honestly though, I had never been to a farmer's market, and I have to say that it was really fun! I need to find one here to shop at! :)
Despite the fact that I have been to Virginia a couple of times, the trips have always been short, (and mostly in the winter, brrrr!) and never included time for any sightseeing or touristy-type attractions, so Monday, we set out for Washington DC, and the Smithsonian. While there, we had time to visit both the Natural History Museum, and the American History Museum, although could have used another hour or so at the latter. Before returning to the Metro to go home, we walked past the White House and took a picture or two there.
Tuesday, we spent the day at Mount Vernon, and it was absolutely beautiful! It was fascinating to see where our first president lived, and look at the actual chair he sat in while running the country. We splurged for the deluxe package which included an audio tour with stories about their way of life and the people (and animals) who lived there, a mini "cruise" on the Potomac, and tickets to the grist mill and distillery. I am quite sorry to say that we did NOT make it to the grist mill and distillery, as one could easily spend two days at the main grounds and museum there and still probably not see it all. The tour included all sorts of interesting information about Washington and his family that I never knew, and I am in the process of planning an entire history unit for the girls based on this visit! :) On the way home, Lisa introduced me to Trader Joe's, and I think we definitely need one of those here! :)
Wednesday morning, I wrapped up my stay with Lisa, and moved on to the in-laws' house, which I think, is a story for another day!
Thanks to Lisa, for letting me tag along and showing me some of the sights, and to Jeff for letting me steal his wife for a couple of days! :)

1 comment:

Avery's Mommy said...

Sounds fun...glad you had a great time. I wanted to visit DC so bad one day!